|“||Riffs are masterful musicians. Very little is known about these complex monsters, but they do have some distinct and unusual habits. For example, Riffs use their flexible toes to select random objects from the ground which they inspect, then eat.||”|
Riffs are big orange monsters with three toes per foot, maroon hair, red lips, ears that look like the wings of a bat, and traces of feathers in their limbs.
When idle, the Riff will nod its body (as its head is on its body) and occassionally open its mouth.
The Riff Monster's contribution to an island's song is playing an instrument resembling an electric guitar. The guitar is not actually electric, nor is it a real instrument; it is another monster that shares a symbiotic relationship with the Riff. The guitar monster produces sounds matching its real-life counterpart.
The following pairs of 2-element monsters can be used to breed a Riff:
However, the combination of a 3-element with 1-element monster has a higher rate of success:
The Riff is hard to breed, so you probably need to light a few Wishing Torches. However, T-Rox and Tweedle have the shortest incubation times, giving another chance to breed the monster quicker than any of the other 3-element + 1-element combinations.
Earning Rate and Maximum Income
Earning rate is in coins per hour and depends on Happiness % (Likes increase Happiness), also each monster has a limit to how much income it can hold at a time. Increasing the monster's level increases the limit.
Each monster needs to be fed four times before it reaches the next level. Increasing the monster's level increases the coins earned per minute. The food per level is the same for all four element monsters and can be found in this article.
Every monster has different things that they like. For every unique object that they like that's placed near the monster, the monster's happiness will increase by 25% (in other words, placing two of the same liked item near a monster will still only increase happiness by 25%).
See the Likes page to view a complete list of all monsters' likes.
Some items to take into consideration when designing your island by strategy are number of beds for the monster, rate of income per bed, max income per bed, and time for max income to be reached. The income below is for level 15:
|Number of Beds||4|
|Rate of Income High||264|
|Rate of Income Low||132|
|Rate of Income per Bed High||66|
|Rate of Income per Bed Low||33|
|Max Income per Bed||51,843|
|Time to Max Income @ High||13:05:30 hours|
|Time to Max Income @ Low||26:11:00 hours|
The Riff's name originates from the term, "guitar riff ".
Main Article: Rare Monsters
Rares are special versions of monsters that, until November 16th 2015, were only available to buy and breed on weekends. Each weekend a different rare was available to buy or breed. The breeding combination was the same as a regular monster, but the breeding time was longer, the "likes" are different, and the earning rates are higher. Rares can now be found in the starshop.They are not yet available in the Windows version of the game.
Find out more about the rare version of the Riff on the Rare Riff page.
- The Riff has hair much like that of Paul McCartney when he was younger - when he was the guitarist for the Beatles.
- The Riff's arms appear to be covered in fur or feathers, whereas his body appears to be covered in scales.
- The Riff has the highest income of all quad-element monsters.
- Occasionally, the Riff will use its wings to hover a short distance above the ground during his song.
- The Riff's feathery limbs and body, and feet, somewhat resemble a chicken.
- The name of "Riff" remains constant in all languages.
- In the concept art of the Riff, it had a more humanoid body-for-a-head instead of one that appeared more of a chicken's body. It was also taller and played a real guitar without monsterification (personification in the sense of monsters). It had no bat wings and had spots that were similar to the released Maw's spots. It also had a hairstyle that was similar to the released Drumpler's hair.
Rare Double Element
Rare Triple Element